Tips to Achieve Academic Goals
Welcome to our Jefferson Middle School (JMS) Family!
My name is Cora Tam. I am an instructional aide for the ELD students. ELD is a program that supports and helps your child become fluent and proficient in English language. It’s my privilege to work with your child this school year. As many of you know, parents’ involvement is the key for every child’s success. I would like to provide some tips for you to achieve academic goals.
* View your child’s progress on the JMS Parent Portal on a regular basis. Teachers report the student's’ grades on classwork/homework, quizzes/tests and projects on the Portal. If you haven’t signed up, please contact JMS office.
* If a teacher do not have the Parent portal set up, they will send a progress report home in a regular basis. Please review, sign and return.
* Inspire your child to do and show their best at ALL time. Students who perform well may advance to a higher ELD level with teachers’ recommendation at the beginning of the school year, first and second quarters.
* Check your child’s agenda daily. All the classwork/homework assignments, upcoming quizzes/tests and projects should be written on the agenda daily. Some teachers might use Google Classroom. Students will have their individual account to sign in. Please ask your child for the user name and password.
* Get help as soon as possible. JMS provides the following afterschool homework assistance:
* AVID Tutoring - Tech Room next of the Media Center. Monday to Friday from 2:45 pm to 4:30 pm.
* Options - Free enrichment program. More information is available in the JMS office.
* Asian Youth Center (AYC) - Fee-based tutoring program. Flyers are available in the JMS office.
* ELD After School Support from me - Media Center. Every Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 2:45 pm.
* Mr. James Tang (7th grade Math Teacher) for the math subject only - Room E201. Monday to Friday (except Wednesday) from 2:45 pm to 4:00 pm.
Supporting ELD students at home:
* Encourage your child to be attentive in the class, study for quizzes and exams, complete classwork, homework and projects on time.
* Motivate your child to read any English materials at least 20 minutes daily. Use a dictionary frequently. Checked out books from the JMS Library or public library.
* Allow your child to watch an English TV Channel or listen to an English radio station.
* Inspire your child to think and speak in English as often as possible.
* Stay involved and feel free to contact your child’s teacher, myself or the counselor with any questions or concerns.
* Make sure your child is getting plenty of sleep and is ready for school each day.
* Be patient. It is difficult to move to a new country and learn a new language.
Besides, the following websites are may be helpful to the students for homework assignment or further learning: * https://classroom.google.com/ * https://www.bigideasmath.com/ * https://www.ixl.com/ * https://portal.3dgamelab.org/users/sign_in
Our mission is to help your child become a fluent English speaker and well adapted to our school. Engaged parents can improve students’ achievement and make a huge difference in behaviors and attitudes. It is important that we work together to help your child succeed. Any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at 626-287-5260 or email@example.com.
Thanks for your support!
Instructional Aide - Bilingual